Thursday, March 11, 2010

The day the snowbank died!

Today's the day the last of the snow in front of the bookstore will melt...in memoriam, I offer

Snowbank died!
(to the tune of American Pie by Don McClean)
Lauretta Nagel

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How th’ snowstorms used to make me smile.
And I knew if I stayed in that I could see those kiddies grin
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
With every snowstorm it delivered.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step.

I can’t remember if I sighed
Or laughed in joy when Sun I spied
But something touched me deep inside
The day the snowbank died…

And we were singin’


“Go, go!” to the remnants of snow,
Took my backhoe and my snowplow but the snowbank won’t go
Them icicles were drippin’ water and ice
Singin’ this’ll be the day the bank dies
Singin’ this’ll be the day the bank dies…

Did you lose a pair of gloves and do you have faith in th’ Sun above?
If the weather tells you so…

Do you believe in salt and sand,
Can rock salt save your blistered hand,
And can you teach me how to gently land?

Well, I know that you’re fed up with snow
`cause I saw you yellin’ at the plow.
You just dug out the ca-ar.
For the 40th time so fa–ar…

You were a lonely teenage bronckin’ buck
With a plow attachment and a pickup truck,
But you knew you were out of luck
The day the snowbank died.

And we were SINGIN’ (EVERYBODY IN THE MID-ATLANTIC!)


“Go, go!” to the remnants of snow,
Took my backhoe and my snowplow but the snowbank won’t go
Them icicles were drippin’ water and ice
Singin’ this’ll be the day the bank dies

Thank you. No money will be made, nor was any disrespect intended...
Lauretta

No comments: