Wednesday, April 2, 2008

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month and boy, are we celebrating!
We have new poetry books.
You can sign up for a Poem a Day at poets.org- they do ringtones too!
You can pick up a free poem to carry in your pocket on April 17th - Poem in Your Pocket Day.

Today's Poem:


The Charm
by Robert Creeley

My children are, to me,
what is uncommon: they are dumb
and speak with signs. Their hands

are nervous, and fit more for
hysteria, than goodwill or long
winterside conversation.

Where fire is, they are quieter
and sit, comforted. They were born
by their mother in hopelessness.

But in them I had been, at first,
tongue. If they speak,
I have myself, and love them.

April 2, 2008

Today's poem is from Selected Poems, 1945-2005, just published by University of California Press. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.

No comments: